It is no secret that the ability to focus on the task at hand is an essential component of safely operating a motor vehicle. Unfortunately, there are a variety of scenarios in which you might struggle to maintain focus or experience driver fatigue while out on Delaware roads, and this might not always involve the presence of distractions.
Studies indicate that drowsiness and fatigue can also take a toll on a driver’s focus and increase the risks you might veer off the road or into oncoming lanes of traffic. Understanding some risk factors that might increase your odds of succumbing to fatigue could prove vital to staving off similar safety hazards.
Possible causes of driver fatigue
While a general lack of rest might seem like the most common cause of driver fatigue, it isn’t the only risk factor involved. Possible causes of fatigue among drivers could also include:
- Medical conditions: Studies indicate that there are a variety of medical conditions that could increase the risks a driver might succumb to fatigue.
- Prescription medications: Some prescription medications may also make you more susceptible to drowsiness and fatigue and understanding the possible side effects involved with medications could prove vital.
- Driver impairment: Those who operate a vehicle while impaired may also be at greater risk of experiencing bouts with fatigue, and this combination could prove a recipe for disaster.
- Nighttime travel: Time of day also plays a role, as studies suggest that fatigue-related accidents are more common during nighttime hours.
- Long distances: If you plan to travel long distances at a time, taking frequent breaks may prove essential, as long stints on the road could also lead to issues with fatigue.
Even if you take every possible measure to stave off fatigue, should others around you fail to do the same, you might be at risk of suffering the repercussions of another party’s negligent decisions.
Collisions involving driver fatigue can have cataclysmic results. Such an incident could leave you with severe or even life-altering injuries, extensive medical costs and a long road to recovery. While there might be nothing you can do to change what took place, it could be in your best interests to seek insight on your available legal avenues as well as the next steps to take to seek the full amount of restitution you deserve.