Commercial vehicles may be a constant fixture out on Delaware roads, and you might encounter a multitude of tractor-trailers as you tackle your list of objectives each day. With the size and weight of such vehicles, it is understandable if you feel somewhat intimidated by their presence.
Even a minor error on the part of a truck driver can create a dangerous situation that could come with disastrous repercussions. As it might not always be possible to avoid sharing the roads with commercial vehicles, you could be wondering if there are any steps you can take to reduce the odds of such a scenario.
Addressing the risks
Knowing some of the risks involved with traveling near commercial vehicles and how to alter driving behavior to limit the chances of a devastating collision could prove imperative. Some vital topics to address concerning such vehicles may include:
- Issues with visibility: The size of commercial vehicles inherently increases the space of blind spots, and taking care not to remain in a truck’s blind spot could prove imperative.
- Difficult to maneuver: Such vehicles are also significantly more difficult to maneuver, and allowing sufficient space between your vehicle and a large truck could help allow enough time to respond to unexpected movements.
- Increased stop times: It also takes longer for such vehicles to slow down and stop, and being aware of this risk could help you better prepare to handle a variety of scenarios.
- High turn radius: If a nearby truck is signaling for a turn, staying a safe distance away could be advisable, as it may be common for truck drivers to take wide angles when turning.
- Stopping on inclines: If traffic patterns force you to stop behind a commercial vehicle on an incline, staying a safe distance behind this vehicle could help prevent it from rolling back into you.
Remaining focused on the task at hand and maintaining awareness of the presence of all nearby vehicles could also play a vital role in reducing the odds of a major truck accident.
When disaster strikes
Unfortunately, you can only control so much of what happens out on the open road. Should the negligent actions of a truck driver cause a commercial vehicle accident to occur, there is a chance you could suffer severe or even life-altering harm in the process. After experiencing a similar scenario, it may be in your best interests to seek guidance on your available options and the next steps to take to seek restitution.