Delaware’s Injury & Medical Malpractice Leaders

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | What to do if you feel only minor pain after a car accident

What to do if you feel only minor pain after a car accident

On Behalf of | May 4, 2017 | Car Accidents

Many people who have been hit by another car feel relieved when the pain they experience is only minor. The relief makes sense, of course — better a twinge in your neck or back rather than something such as a concussion or broken bone.

The thing is, small aches and pains can later turn into major problems.

Remember issues with the statute of limitations

One issue that arises from waiting to have your injuries checked out is the statute of limitations. In Delaware, you should have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. So, suppose you feel only minor pain at first, but by year three, it is evident you have a serious and ongoing problem. You go to the doctor and have it checked out, and perhaps finally get in touch with a law firm to seek compensation. You may be out of luck because there were no court filings yet related to the incident.

On the other hand, suppose you got the seemingly minor injury checked out immediately, and the doctor warned you that in her experience, these injuries often get worse. You could get in touch with a law firm as soon as possible to keep your options open.

Another reason to see a doctor as soon as you can is that you are establishing a chain of cause and effect. It becomes more difficult later for another lawyer to argue that other actions caused your worsening injury when, in fact, it is all or primarily tied to the car accident.

See a doctor

So, one of the first things you should do after experiencing “only” minor pain is to go to a doctor. Do this even if you think the pain cannot possibly be related to the accident. Being hit on one side of your body or in one area can affect faraway areas. You can also meet with a lawyer; medical bills get expensive fast.