Vaping and the use of electronic cigarettes has become very popular in recent years. It is estimated that 2.5 million people use e-cigarettes. As with any electronic device, the e-cigarettes require battery power to be operated. Unfortunately, some of the batteries have not remained stable and have exploded on people. One Delaware man suffered personal injuries as a result of an exploding battery and with has since filed a products liability lawsuit against the store who sold it to him.
The man was carrying a spare battery for his e-cigarette in his pocket while attending an event with his wife and two small children. The battery exploded in his pants pockets, and the man was taken to a nearby medical treatment center for treatment. He was diagnosed with third degree burns on his leg.
When something unsafe is sold, claims for personal injuries under Delaware law may be brought against the seller, manufacturer and any other party in the line of distribution. The man asserts that adequate warning was not made regarding the potential dangers of e-cigarette batteries, although they have a known history of exploding. Reportedly, most batteries explode and catch fire when they are being charged, but as in this man’s case, some do explode in other circumstances.
Although consumers are typically responsible for their own safety when using different products, it may be difficult to do so when they are not properly informed of a product’s potential dangers. Suffering injuries such as this victim may result in a long-term medical treatment and lost time from work. Personal injury attorneys in Delaware can advise similar victims of their rights and options to file a products liability lawsuit in civil court.
Source: delawareonline.com, “Wilmington man sues after e-cigarette battery explodes in his pants“, Esteban Parra, Aug. 23, 2017