Delaware’s Injury & Medical Malpractice Leaders

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | What to know about Delaware law and motorcyclist helmets

What to know about Delaware law and motorcyclist helmets

On Behalf of | May 21, 2017 | Car Accidents

If you are a motorcyclist in Delaware or are thinking about becoming one, it is good to know about helmet laws. In fact, many people assume that all states require motorcyclists to wear helmets, but that is not true.

Delaware is a partial helmet state, meaning that the only people who must wear helmets are those up to 19 years old. However, motorcyclists and their riders must have a helmet for each person handy somewhere on the motorcycle.

Should you wear a helmet?

If you are above 19 years old, should you wear a helmet? The answer is yes, you probably should. Helmets have been proven to reduce the risk of fatalities in accidents, and they are not as cumbersome and ugly as they used to be. However, if you do decide not to wear a helmet, as is your right under the law, and get involved in a car accident, car drivers can still be legally responsible for the injuries they cause you.

In addition to directly reducing the risk of an injury or fatality, helmets keep you safer in a few ways. For instance, they enhance your visibility, which is significant because many car drivers have problems seeing motorcyclists. At nighttime, you can use reflective lights or tape on your helmet, too. Helmets also help with keeping dust and dirt out of your eyes, although the law does require you to have eye protection such as goggles or glasses (you could opt for a helmet with a face shield instead).

The decision to wear is yours

That said, the decision to wear a helmet is completely yours, as long as you are older than 19. Unfortunately, drivers of cars have more things competing for their attention than ever before, and you could steer your motorcycle as safely as possible, signal properly, do everything perfectly and still get hit. Being involved in an accident can be a scary experience. If this occurs, an attorney should be able to help you seek compensation.