What Do You Need To Do After A Car Accident?
These Five Steps Can Make A Difference
A motor vehicle accident will potentially impact your health and your finances in many ways. While your physical recovery must come first, your finances are also important. You only have one chance to recover the compensation you will need through a personal injury claim. The steps you take after a car accident could make the difference between recovering the damages you need or potentially settling your case for less than it is worth. By taking these five steps after an accident, you can give yourself the best chance of success.
1. Call the police and wait for them to arrive. Do not leave the scene of the accident until you have had a chance to talk to the police.
2. Do not discuss the accident with anyone but the police or your insurance agent. There is a tendency for some people to say “sorry” or to apologize after an accident. Do not admit fault, because you may not have all of the facts.
3. Collect witness information and gather evidence. Get names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses. If a witness does not remain at the scene, write down his/her vehicle license number, make and model. Police can contact them later for more information. If you or someone else has a camera, take photographs of the vehicles at the accident scene. This evidence can be critical in building your case.
4. Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Even if you do not believe that you were injured, it is important to have a doctor look at your injuries as soon as possible. If you don’t seek medical attention and an injury flares up later, the insurance company may deny that the accident was the cause of your injuries.
5. Keep complete medical records. Your medical records will be key in proving your damages. With comprehensive records, you will be able to prove the full scope of your damages. Along these lines, attend every physical therapy session and doctor’s appointment. Every time you go to one of these appointments, you give yourself another chance to build a record of your injury.
In addition to all of these steps, there is one more important step you should take.
Get In Touch With Our Lawyers
After you seek medical treatment, you should talk to an attorney. For decades, the injury lawyers of Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP have helped individuals and families across Delaware. We understand just how much is at stake in any injury or wrongful death claim, and will work diligently to help you recover all of your damages, including your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and damage to your vehicle.
We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your situation in detail. Call 888-395-7576 or complete our online contact form to get started. We don’t get paid unless we win. With our location in Wilmington, we represent clients statewide.